Application for the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship programs in Belgium is now open. The International master programs (ICPs) are accredited master programs consisting of 2 or 4 semesters (60 or 120 ECTS respectively) on a subject that is relevant to or specific for development. The program supports a selection of ICPs to support candidates from eligible countries to conduct master’s degrees in Belgium.
Flanders – the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium – is a great destination for students from around the world. Studying in Antwerp, Brussels, Ghent, Hasselt or Leuven means being welcomed by an open multilingual society, with higher education that offers excellent value for money, in a financially sound area in the heart of Europe which boasts a high quality of life.
- Host Institution: Partner Institutions in Flanders (Belgium).
- Field of Study: All Master’s programs listed below.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Applicant’s program duration.
- Target group: Please check the full list below.
VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship Benefits
This scholarship program is fully funded and provided the following benefits for the last call.
- Allowance 1150 EUR per month;
- Indirect travel costs 150 EUR (One-time payment);
- Logistical allowance 850 or 700 EUR (One-time payment);
- Program related travel costs (One-time payment);
- Insurance 40 EUR per month Indicative maximum. According to insurance policy;
- Airline ticket: the lowest rates 1 ticket to Belgium, one ticket to the home country, economy class (Per scholarship);
- Tuition fee Variable Standard tuition fee for full registration to a master program (Per academic year).
Note: Scholarship costs may change in line with government funding decisions. Detailed figures for academic year 2022-2023 are not yet available. The above figures are for the 2021-2022 academic year.
As of 2022 VLIR-UOS country lists will change, the following will be applicable:
VLIR-UOS partner country list 2022-2026 (17): Benin, Bolivia, Burundi, Cuba, DR Congo, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Philippines, Indonesia, Kenya, Morocco, Peru, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam
VLIR-UOS scholarship/GM country list 2022-2026 (29): Benin, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroun, Cuba, DR Congo, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Guinee, Haiti, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Morocco, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Niger, Peru, Philippines, Palestina, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.
Below is the list of programs with their application deadline for the current call.
- International Master of Science in Rural Development (IMRD), Deadline: 28/02/2022
- Master of Aquaculture (IMAQUA), Deadline: 01/03/2022
- Master of Agro- and Environmental Nematology, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies (CADES), Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Epidemiology, Deadline: 28/02/2022
- Master of Governance and Development, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Globalisation and Development, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Human Settlements, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Science in Food Technology, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Statistics and Data Science, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master in Sustainable Development, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Transportation Sciences, Deadline: 01/02/2022
- Master of Water Resources Engineering (WRE), Deadline: 01/02/2022.
VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship Eligibility
In order to apply for the VLIR-UOS Scholarship, applicants must meet the following profile:
- Be a national and resident of one of the 31 eligible countries (not necessarily the same country) at the time of the application.
- The maximum age for a master program candidate is 35 for an initial master and 45 for an advanced master. The candidate cannot exceed this age on the first of January of the intake year.
- Priority is given to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, the social economy or NGOs, or who aim at a career in one of these sectors. However, master candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience can be eligible for the scholarship as well, depending on their motivation and profile.
- Candidates working in a university where VLIR-UOS already fund IUC, TEAM or SI projects, can receive an ITP-ICP scholarship if they clearly motivate the reason of their application and clarify why the participation at the ICP program cannot be funded as part of the existing IUC, Team or SI program or project funds.
- A candidate can only submit one scholarship application per year – irrespective of the scholarship type – and can therefore only be selected for one scholarship per year.
- The Master program candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master program or equivalent or was never enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution to attend a master program or equivalent before the first of January of the intake year.
- 50 Governments Scholarships for International Students;
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD;
- Top Scholarships in France for Foreign Students;
- Erasmus Mundus SERP-Chem Scholarship.
How to Apply for the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship must follow instructions below.
Find an eligible Master’s programs that meet your interest. Visit the university that provide the program’s website and apply for both admission to the program and for the scholarship itself. When you apply for the program, be sure to mention whether you wish to apply for a scholarship.
The deadline for submitting application varies per institution. The furthest deadline is . Please check the Master’s programs list, for precise deadlines. For more detail on the VLIR-UOS International Master Scholarship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.