Application for Ms Geek Africa Competition 2020 is open until Saturday, February 29th at 5pm (CAT). Ms Geek competition aimed at inspiring more girls into Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) to meaningfully contribute to solving challenges faced in their community and across Africa.
Finalists undergo a week long intensive training program to equip them with presentation, public speaking and critical thinking skills to prepare them for competition day. Ms. Geek Africa is selected by a panel of judges and receives exciting prizes including a cash prize, phone and/or tablet, laptop, a trip to an international technology conference, among others. All expenses are covered for all selected finalists.
This year, Smart Africa partnered with Girls in ICT Rwanda to expand the Ms. Geek competition to all member states. Best solution from every country will be selected to participate in the finals. Finalists shall present in two rounds, after which Ms. Geek Africa and two runners up shall be rewarded during the summit.
- Event: Ms Geek Africa Competition.
- Areas: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- Number of Awards: Not specified (finalists).
- Date: April 19th – 23rd 2020, Republic of Guinea.
- Target Group: Open for citizens of the following countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, DR Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Kenya, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Togo, Tunisia and Uganda.
Ms Geek Africa Competition Benefits
Finalists undergo a week-long intensive training program to equip them with presentation, public speaking and critical thinking skills to prepare them for competition day. Selected candidates by a panel of judges may receive exciting prizes including
- a cash prize,
- phone and/or tablet, laptop,
- a trip to an international technology conference, among others.
- All expenses are covered for all selected finalists.
Ms Geek Africa Competition Eligibility
To take part in the Ms Geek Africa Competition, candidates must have the following profile:
- Girls between the ages of 13 and 21 years old
- Be as a citizen of one of the Smart Africa member states listed above
- Contestants must be available to travel to The Republic of Guinea between April 19th – 23rd 2020 for training and Transform Africa Summit.
Ms Geek Africa 2020 participants will be selected considering elements below:
- Your application must describe the problem you want to solve, how your solution will solve it, a conceptual design, what technologies you are using/should be used to develop it, key stakeholders, how content will be generated, and shared.
- Your solution must be original or an innovative improvement to existing technologies.
- You must consider that most Africans have limited access to internet and smart devices.
- A graphical presentation must accompany the concept note, demonstrating how the solution will work and an example of the user interface
Those who would like to apply for the Ms Geek Africa Competition must follow steps below:
- Submit your solution using the Ms Geek Africa Format to [email protected]
- All applications must be submitted in English or French.
- Name the submitted application in this format: YOUR NAME-COUNTRY
- If you have questions, please contact the organizer on twitter @GirlsInICTRW or Facebook Page “Girls In ICT Rwanda.
Deadline for submission is . There shall be NO EXCEPTIONS. For more information about the Ms Geek Africa 2020 Competition, please visit the official page.