Applicants are invited to apply for the 2021-2022 Canada’s Emerging Leaders in the Americas Scholarship. The Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) scholarship provide students from Latin America and the Caribbean with short-term exchange opportunities for study or research, at the college, undergraduate and graduate levels in Canada.
The ELAP scholarship has been created by the Government of Canada to support the development of human capital and the next generation of leaders in the Americas while strengthening the linkages between post-secondary institutions in Canada and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The scholarship also aims to advance Canada’s objectives for the Americas: democratic and accountable governance, human rights, the environment, diversity and Indigenous peoples. If you are not eligible for this scholarship, please click here to check other opportunities that available for all nationalities to study, research or work in Canada.
- Host Institutions: Colleges, technical/vocational institutes and universities in Canada.
- Eligible Programs: The Study in Canada Scholarships program is open to students from all disciplines in Canadian institutions.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration : up to two academic terms of study or research.
- Eligible countries: Caribbean (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos); Central America (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama); North America (Mexico); South America (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela).
Canada’s Emerging Leaders in the Americas Scholarship Benefits
The Canadian institution will receive funding from the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) for all successful candidates in the form of a contribution agreement and will be responsible for providing the funds to scholarship recipients. The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for students is:
- CAD 7,200 for college, undergraduate or graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of study or research; or
- CAD 9,700 for graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a period of five to six months of study or research.
The scholarship will help recipients to cover the following costs:
- visa and/or study/work permit fees;
- airfare, for the scholarship recipient only, to Canada by the most direct and economical route and return airfare upon completion of the scholarship;
- health insurance;
- living expenses, such as accommodation, utilities and food;
- ground transportation expenses, including a public transportation pass; and
- books and supplies required for the recipient’s study or research, excluding computers and other equipment.
Canada’s Emerging Leaders in the Americas Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program, candidates must meet following requirements:
- Be a citizen of one of the countries listed above;
- be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution in an eligible country and paying any tuition fees regulated by that institution at the time of application and for the full duration of the exchange.
- Not have a Canadian citizenship or have applied for permanent residency in Canada;
- Not already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada;
- Not be enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college.
- Study in Canada Scholarships for International Students;
- University of Winnipeg Graduate Scholarship to Study in Canada;
- Mackenzie King Scholarships to Study in Canada;
- Laurentian University in Canada Scholarships for International Students;
- McMaster University in Canada Entrance Awards.
How to Apply for the Canada’s Emerging Leaders in the Americas Scholarship
Interested applicants willing to apply for the ELAP scholarships to study in Canada must follow instructions below:
- Applicants should first contact their home institution;
- provide a letter of intent that describes the nature of their research or studies to be undertaken, that explains the rationale for study in Canada and for the choice of institution, program and supervisor, and that indicates how the proposed program of study or research will relate to their future career;
- should not apply on their own behalf.
- Home institutions are responsible for identifying strong academic candidates who meet the admission requirements for the Canadian partner institution and providing the candidates’ documents to the Canadian partner institution.
- Canadian institutions will submit applications on behalf of candidates.
Note: Only Canadian institutions can submit applications on behalf of candidates. They may choose to set their own internal deadline to receive supporting documentation.
Scholarship recipients may commence their studies or research as early as but no later than .
The Application deadline is . For more detail on the Canada’s Emerging Leaders in the Americas Scholarship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.