The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a dynamic and multifaceted learning program designed for highly talented Asian individuals, under age 40, to enhance their leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure. The program reflects the Foundation’s six-decade tradition of investing in the region’s most promising future leaders. The 2020 program will consist of two intensive modules, including two weeks in Asia and two weeks in the United States, allowing Fellows to stay in their current occupations during the Fellowship year.
- Events: Asia Foundation Development Fellows.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: March 21 – April 2, 2020 (Laos – Leadership Dialogue and Exchange), April 3-5, 2020 (Singapore – Forum on Leadership for Asia’s Future), September 12-26, 2020 (USA – Leadership Dialogue and Exchange).
- Target group: Open to citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and, Vietnam.
Asia Foundation Development Fellows Benefits
Professional Development Award – An award of up to US$5,000 will be made available to each of the selected Fellows.
Mentoring – Building on the regional network and local capacity of The Asia Foundation, the program offers a mentoring component that is tailored around the background and professional interests of the Fellows.
Asia Foundation Development Fellows Eligibility
To qualify for the Asia Foundation Development, Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1, 2020;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and, Vietnam.
The program is highly competitive. Staff from The Asia Foundation will evaluate each application thoroughly and narrow down the pool of applicants. Final selections will be conducted by a distinguished committee with expertise on Asia’s needs and development conditions. Fellows will be chosen without regard to gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, marital status, or financial need. All submitted application information will be treated as confidential unless stated otherwise in the application. The identities of nominees will also remain confidential throughout the final selection process.
- Check your eligibility: Please carefully read the Eligibility and Selection criteria above
- Pepare for the application process: Download: 2020 Application Guidelines and Instructions (PDF). Review the Application Guidelines and Instructions and complete each component of the application:
- Personal information
- Written submission
- Supplementary materials: CV and transcript
- Short video submission
- Letters of recommendation (handled online)
- Click on the apply button and apply.
Application deadline is Monday, October 7, 2019 (11:59pm PDT [UTC-7]). For more detail on the Asia Foundation Development Fellows, please visit the official page.