The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with the aim to contribute in the production and retention of high level African human resources for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas, while promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students. The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
Promoting access to higher education is essential to enable refugees and forcibly displaced persons build their capacity to lead a normal life and contribute to regional integration and sustainable development in Africa. It is therefore necessary to enhance opportunities to effectively educate and integrate refugees and displaced persons.
Field of study:
The following fields of study are eligible: Natural Sciences, Agriculture, Health, Education, Engineering, and Social Sciences.
Open for refugees / displaced person in Africa.
The scholarship award covers the following:
- Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
- Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation and medication.
- Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
- Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare (as applicable).
- Travel Allowance:
- One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation and settling-in costs
- One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful completion of the study.
- Computer Allowance: One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop computer and accessories.
Note: Candidates must complete their study within the specified period of the programme as the scholarship cannot be extended.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Citizen of an African Union Member State.
- Be a formally registered refugee/displaced person with a UNHCR registration number or be able to demonstrate confirmed refugee status in an African Union Member State.
- Be under the age of thirty five (35) years.iv. Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at least at the level of Upper Second Class Honours. The degree must be from a recognized University.
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
- Have proof of admission to undertake a full time Masters programme in a recognized university in an African Union Member State.
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years. No application will be considered without an admission letter from a university, and an official registration as a refugee or displaced person.
- No application will be considered without an admission letter from a university, and an official registration as a refugee or displaced person.
- Interested candidates can apply on-line using the link edu-au.org/scholarship or
- They can submit their applications by post after completing the Scholarship Application Form, which is available on the Africa Union website: au.int/en/scholarship
- Completed application form
- A proof of refugee/displaced person status, indicating citizenship
- Recent passport-size photograph
- CV indicating applicant’s academic background and work experience. Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Copy of admission letter from a recognized African University
- Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses and telephone numbers.
- A Letter of Motivation of not more than 500 words (maximum 2 pages) that explains why the candidate has chosen the particular field of study and its importance to Africa’s development
Applicants applying on-line should produce electronic copies of the above documents and submit as attachments.
Applicants who submit their applications by post should make two (2) sets of hard copies of all the above documents. The Application must be sent to the address below.
Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology African Union Commission, P.O. Box 3243 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.