The goal of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Fellowship Program is to strengthen the diversity of the multi-stakeholder model by fostering opportunities for individuals from undeserved and underrepresented communities to become active participants in the ICANN community.
Fellows are exposed to the workings of the ICANN community, are assigned a mentor, and receive training across different areas of knowledge and skill building before, during, and after an ICANN Public Meeting. Travel assistance to attend the meeting is also provided.
- Event: ICANN69 Annual General Meeting in Hamburg, Germany.
- Number of awards: Around 45.
- Date: 17-22 October 2020.
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities.
ICANN Fellowship Program Benefits
All travel including airfare and accommodations will be booked and paid for by the ICANN Fellowship Program. Any additional charges related to travel are the responsibility of the fellow.
A stipend not to exceed US $500.00 will be provided to offset reasonable individual expenses (such as meals, transport to/from the airport, and incidentals). One half of the allotted stipend will be provided to each participating fellow prior to the meeting; the second half of the stipend will be provided via wire transfer by ICANN upon successful completion of the ICANN Fellowship Program and submission of the post-meeting survey two weeks after the ICANN Meeting.
ICANN Fellowship Program Eligibility
Candidates from all regions and sectors are welcome to apply to the ICANN Fellowship Program.
Participants of the Fellowship Program must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be interested in, or already engaged in, the various components of ICANN’s work in policy building, the operation of the Domain Name System and the security and stability of the global Internet
- Complete mandatory ICANN Learn course(s); learn more here
- NOT be involved in or associated with other ICANN supported travel programs at time of selection;
- Policy Forum applicants must have successfully completed an ICANN Fellowship;
- Have previously received no more than two fellowships; second and third time fellows must prove their involvement and engagement in one of the ICANN communities (learn more here).
You may also be eligible for the:
- TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits in Germany;
- University of the Fraser Valley Scholarships in Canada;
- Skoltech Scholarship in Russia For Local and International Students;
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- International Academic Scholarship in Switzerland;
ICANN Fellowship Program Requirements
Fellowship recipients are expected to:
- Engage in Fellowship Program Mentoring processes
- Complete additional required ICANN Learn courses
- Attend the ICANN Public Meeting and required activities, including but not limited to ICANN Fellowship sessions during the ICANN Meeting
- Network and interact with program alumni and community members
- Complete the post-meeting survey
Participants are encouraged to actively contribute to ICANN policy development processes and Fellowship alumni network upon completion of the Fellowship Program.
The application round for the ICANN69 has started. Please click on the application button below and follow instructions to apply.
ICANN68 Policy Forum in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- ICANN Region: Asia Pacific;
- Meeting Dates: 22-25 June 2020;
- Opening of application round: 15 November 2019 at 23:59 UTC;
- Closing of application round: 15 December 2019 at 23:59 UTC;
- Announcement of selected Fellows: 20 February 2020.
ICANN69 Annual General Meeting in Hamburg, Germany
- ICANN Region: Europe;
- Meeting Dates: 17-22 October 2020;
- Opening of application round: 17 March 2020 at 23:59 UTC;
- Closing of application round: 17 April 2020 at 23:59 UTC;
- Announcement of selected Fellows: 16 June 2020.
ICANN70 Community Forum in Cancún, Mexico
- ICANN Region: Latin America;
- Meeting Dates: 20-25 March 2021;
- Opening of application round: 30 July 2020 at 23:59 UTC;
- Closing of application round: 30 August 2020 at 23:59 UTC;
- Announcement of selected Fellows: 20 November 2020.
Note: Only those who have successfully completed an ICANN Fellowship (Fellowship Alumni) are eligible to apply for a Policy Forum fellowship. For more information please check the program’s Frequently Asked Questions, Terms & Conditions, Selection Criteria and visit the official page.