An Australia Awards Short Course is a training and professional development opportunity funded by the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Short courses are available for professionals in specialized fields from eligible African countries. The short courses strengthen the professional capacity and leadership skills of participants, enabling them to contribute more effectively to development in their home countries.
Australia Awards university partners leverage their international research and teaching expertise to design and deliver contemporary and relevant professional training that responds to development needs in Africa. The program will help participants to earn international recognition and strengthens their ability to drive change and development in their countries and regions.
- Host Institutions: Australian universities and partner universities in Africa.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Duration of candidate’s programme.
- Target group: Open to citizens of the following countries: Botswana, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia*, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda*, Senegal, Somalia*, South Africa, South Sudan*, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe (*Only eligible for in-Africa short course).
Australia Awards Short Course Benefits
The Australia Awards Short Course will provide successful applicants with the followings:
- Australian educational experience
- Fully paid tuition fees
- Fully paid economy class travel to and from their home country to the course delivery location(s)
- Fully paid visa expenses
- A contribution to living expenses for the duration of the course
- Fully paid accommodation for the duration of the course
- Fully paid medical insurance for the duration of the course
- Adjustment support for women and people with disabilities, if required
- The opportunity to develop and maintain global links with Australians and other Africans
- The opportunity to join a prestigious alumni network after the short course
- Continued professional development after completing the award.
Australia Awards Short Course Eligibility
To qualify for the Australia Awards Short Course, candidates must meet all the following requirements:
- Your minimum academic qualification is at least a four year bachelor’s degree or equivalent (as indicated in the relevant country’s requirements)
- You are a mid-career professional, currently employed in a relevant field and sector
- You meet relevant post-graduate work experience requirements (as indicated in the relevant country’s requirements)
- You can demonstrate a clear vision of how the knowledge and skills you will gain, through the short course, will be used to drive policy reform and improve practice in your home country
- Your English proficiency is sufficient to enable full participation in a training course delivered in English
- You meet all the requirements of the Australian Government for the appropriate student visa (subclass 500), for short courses delivered in Australia.
Please click Here and follow instructions to apply. Eligible people with disabilities, are encouraged to apply for a scholarship and disclose the nature of their impairment. Having a disability will not disadvantage individuals in the selection process. Applications will be equitably considered, and reasonable accommodation made, to ensure equal participation and access.
All eligible individuals, including those who are HIV-positive or living with other chronic illnesses, can apply for a scholarship. Disclosure is encouraged to facilitate the development of a support plan. The programme’s deadline is January 17, 2020. For more detail on the Australia Awards Short Course, please visit the official page.