The UNHCR and CHR-AAU Award for Research on Forced Displacement in Africa programme invites African university students at the graduate (Masters or Doctoral) level to submit research essays on the topic of forced displacement in Africa. The essay will compete in a competition being held in connection with the African Union’s (AU) theme of 2019: ‘The Year of Refugees, Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
- Area: Research may come from any relevant discipline that offers a clear contribution on the topic of refugees and/or IDPs in Africa.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Target groupe: Open to nationals / residents of AU member states.
The winning essay will be published on-line by UNHCR and CHR-AAU and the winner will receive a prize of US$1,000. Winners will be announced in May 2020.
To compete for the UNHCR and CHR-AAU Award for Research on Forced Displacement in Africa, you must be:
- Aged 18 or over;
- A national of, or ordinarily resident in, an AU member state; and
- Registered at the graduate (Masters or Doctoral) level at a recognised university in an AU member state.
Additionally, your essay:
- Must be written in English;
- Must be endorsed by a faculty member from your university; and
- May have been submitted for course credit or prepared exclusively for this competition.
The internal and expert juries will judge entries by the following criteria:
- Quality of writing;
- Quality of research;
- Timeliness and importance of topic; and
- Contribution to increasing understanding of forced displacement in Africa.
- Your full name;
- Your date of birth;
- Your phone number and email address;
- Your nationality or country of habitual residence;
- The name of the university where you are registered;
- Proof of registration; and
- An endorsement in PDF format of no more than 200 words written by a faculty member from your university.