Application for the MEXT Scholarship For Teacher Training Students for the 2021-2023 academic year is now open. The Scholarship is offered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan to international teachers who wish to conduct research on school education at designated Japanese universities as Teacher Training Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship program.
The program aims to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
- Host Institution: Partner institutions in Japan.
- Language of Instruction: The training at universities will be conducted in Japanese or English.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: the necessary period for the completion of the accepting university’s training course, which should be between October 2021 (or the starting month of the course) and March 2023.
- Target group: Open to nationals of countries that have diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
MEXT Scholarship For Teacher Training Students Benefits
The program will provide successful applicants with the following benefits
- Allowance: 143,000 yen per month. A supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 yen or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or conducting research in specially designated regions.
- Education fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Transportation: MEXT will provide round trip economy-class flight ticket to and from Japan.
MEXT Scholarship For Teacher Training Students Eligibility:
Applicants willing to apply for the MEXT Scholarship For Teacher Training Students must meet the following requirements:
- Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the other country and renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan.
- Age: In principle, applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1986. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.).
- Academic and Career Background:
- Applicants must be graduates of universities or
- teacher Training schools and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or
- teacher training schools (excluding universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2021
- In-service faculty members in a higher education institution are not eligible.
- Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese.
- Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- Université Paris-Saclay Scholarship for International Students;
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD;
- Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians;
- Top Scholarships in France for Foreign Students;
- University of Toronto International Students Scholarship;
- Université de Montréal International Student Scholarship.
The deadline for submitting application for the Japanese Government MEXT program varies for each Japanese diplomatic mission. Make sure to confirm the deadline by contacting the nearest Japanese diplomatic mission or through their website.
Submit the application form with the required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in your country by the designated deadline. The submitted documents will not be returned.
- Application Form (Use the FY2021 Application Form);
- Placement Preference Application Form (Use the FY2021 Preference Form);
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university/teacher training school attended;
- The diploma from the last university/teacher training school attended;
- Certificate of employment;
- Recommendation letter from the immediate supervisor at work;
- Medical certificate (Use the FY2021 certificate form);
- Certificate of Japanese language ability (if available).
NB: These documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translations in either of these languages should be attached. For more details on the MEXT Scholarship For Teacher Training Students, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.