Application for the Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate studies are currently being received. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as Undergraduate Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships Program.
The MEXT (MONBUKAGAKUSHO) scholarship program is open for candidates enrolled in an undergraduate course at a university, or who are receiving preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects prior to placement at the university. This is a unique opportunity to get quality education for free in Japan.
Applicants wishing to apply for a Research, Master’s or PhD degree program should click on the following link: MEXT scholarship program for graduate studies.
- Host institutions: Higher Educational Institutions in Japan.
- Fields of study: Please check list below.
- Number of awards: Many.
- Duration: The Scholarship period will last for five years from April 2021 to March 2026, including one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects. For scholarship grantees majoring in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or a six-year course in pharmacy, the scholarship period will be seven years until March 2028.
- Eligible countries: Open to nationals of countries that have diplomatic relation with Japan.
Fields of study
Social Sciences and Humanities – A: 1. Law, 2. Politics, 3. Pedagogy, 4. Sociology, 5. Literature, 6. History, 7. Japanese Language, 8. Others (excluding “1. Economics” and “2. Business Administration” in Humanities B).
Social Sciences and Humanities – B: 1. Economics, 2. Business Administration
Natural Sciences – A: Science (1. Mathematics, 2. Physics, 3. Chemistry); Electric and Electronic Studies (4. Electronics, 5. Electrical Engineering, 6. Information Engineering); Mechanical Studies (7. Mechanical Engineering, 8. Naval Architecture); Civil Engineering and Architecture (9. Civil Engineering, 10. Architecture, 11. Environmental Engineering); Chemical Studies (12. Applied Chemistry, 13. Chemical Engineering, 14. Industrial Chemistry, 15. Textile Engineering); Other Fields (16. Metallurgical Engineering, 17. Mining Engineering, 18. Maritime Engineering, 19. Biotechnology).
Natural Sciences – B: Agricultural Studies (1. Agriculture, 2. Agricultural Chemistry, 3. Agricultural Engineering, 4. Animal Science, 5. Veterinary Medicine, 6. Forestry, 7. Food Science, 8. Fisheries); Hygienic Studies (9. Pharmacy, 10. Hygienics, 11. Nursing); Science (12. Biology).
Natural Sciences – C: 1. Medicine, 2. Dentistry.
Note: Applicants may enter a first, second, and third choice of “field of study”. Applicants who choose “8. Others” (Social Sciences and Humanities – A) may have difficulties in finding universities that can accept them depending on their majors.
An applicant who chooses Natural Sciences and would like to choose more than one majors is required to select up to three majors from within the same course (i.e. Natural Sciences A, B or C). However, an applicant who selects Natural Sciences – C as his/her first choice may choose his/her second-choice major from Natural Sciences – B or C and third-choice major from Natural Sciences – B as Natural Sciences – C offers only two majors.
Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies Benefits
Selected candidate for the MONBUKAGAKUSHO scholarship will enjoy following benefits:
- Allowance: 117,000 yen per month. A supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 yen or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or conducting research in specially designated regions.
- Education fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Transportation: MEXT will provide round trip economy-class flight ticket to and from Japan.
Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies Eligibility
To apply for the MEXT (MONBUKAGAKUSHO) scholarship, candidate must satisfy following criteria:
- Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the other country and renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan.
- Age: Applicants, in principle, must have been born on or after April 2, 1996. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.)
- Academic Background: Applicants must satisfy any one of the following conditions. However, applicants desiring direct placement must satisfy either the following ①, ③ or ④ condition.
- Applicants who have completed 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above condition by March 2020 are eligible. However, applicants wishing to enroll from the autumn term through direct placement must be expected to complete 12 years of schooling by August 2020.)
- Applicants who have completed their studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above condition by March 2020 are eligible.)
- Applicants who have successfully passed an academic qualification examination that is equivalent to the completion of 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above condition by March 2020 are eligible.)
- Other than the above ①, ② and ③ conditions, applicants who are eligible for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application.
- Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese.
- MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program;
- MEXT Scholarships for Specialized Training College Program;
- Australia Awards Scholarships for Development;
- Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarships for Master and PhD;
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University;
- Thailand Government Scholarship for International Students;
- Zhejiang Normal University MPA Scholarship.
Applicants willing to apply for the Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate studies must submit required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in their country by the designated deadline. Please get in touch with the diplomatic mission in your country to get more details about application requirement and submission period.
- Application Form
- Placement Preference Application (Only for applicants desiring direct placement).
- Academic transcript for all academic year of university attended
- Certification of graduation or degree certificate of the university attended (If the applicant has not yet graduated, submit a certificate of prospective graduation from the university)
- Recommendation letter from either principal or teacher of last school attended
- Medical certificate
- Certificate of enrollment (Only for those currently enrolled in a university)
- Certificate of university enrollment qualification examination (Only for those who passed the university enrollment qualification exams)
- Certificate of language proficiency (Only in case the applicant has documents attesting to competency in Japanese or English; submit 2 copies)
Documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translation in either of these languages should be attached. Furthermore, applicants must submit two application packets: one is a complete set of original documents and the other is a complete set of their copies. Write the document number, from ① to ⑨ in the upper right-hand corner of the first page for all the documents.
The deadline to submit applications varies by Japanese diplomatic mission. For example, the deadline is July 8, 2020 at the Embassy of Japan in Australia and August 21, 2020 at the Embassy of Japan in South Africa. Make sure to confirm the deadline at the website of Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of your nationality or in some other ways.
Please find here Past Examination Questions (2014, 2015, 2016). For more details on the Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate students, please visit the official page. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.