The DAAD Music Scholarship offer graduates students the opportunity to continue their music education in Germany with a postgraduate or continuing course of study. The scholarships also promote the exchange of experience and networking among colleagues.
- What can be funded: A Master’s degree/postgraduate degree leading to a final qualification, or a complementary course that does not lead to a final qualification (not an undergraduate course).
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Between 10 and 24 months depending on the length of the chosen study programme or study project (Master’s degree) and One academic year.
- Target group: Open to all nationalities.
DAAD Music Scholarship Benefits
The programme provides successful applicants with the followings:
- A monthly payment of 850 euros
- Travel allowance
- One-off study allowance
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
- Payment of course fees for the online language course etc.
DAAD Music Scholarship Eligibility
To qualify for the DAAD Music Scholarship, Fellows must:
- As a rule, applicants should have taken their final examinations no longer than six years before the application deadline.
- The respective college of music is responsible for deciding age limits for admission, whereby differing rules may be applied depending on the applicant’s academic level and chosen subject.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline cannot be considered.
- If the scholarship holder is enrolled in a Master’s or postgraduate degree programme which includes a study period abroad, funding for this period abroad is usually only possible under the following conditions:
- The study visit is essential for achievement of the scholarship objective.
- The study period is no longer than a quarter of the scholarship period. Longer periods cannot be funded, even partially.
- The study period does not take place in the home country.
- Applicants in the field of music should have a knowledge of the language of instruction that corresponds to the requirements of the chosen university at the latest by the time they start their scholarship. If you do not yet have the language skills required by the university at the time of your application, your application should indicate the extent to which you are in a position to reach the required level.
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal. You are also required to send additional documents by post to the specified application address.
Master’s degree/postgraduate study programme leading to a final qualification:
- If available: Letter of acceptance from the host university
- If you do not have a letter of acceptance at the time of application, you must apply to the university for this in good time and subsequently submit the confirmation letter before the scholarship-supported study programme begins. Please note that you yourself are responsible for ensuring that you apply for admission at the host university by the due date and that a Scholarship Award Letter from the DAAD only becomes valid if you are admitted to your chosen host university.
- If possible, confirmation of supervision from a university teacher
Further training that does not lead to a final qualification: Confirmation of supervision from a German university teacher.
Also for all applicants:
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study programme begins if studies have not been completed at the time of application.
- Proof of knowledge of the language of instruction (German or English).The language certificate should be no more than two years old.
- Form with an overview of recorded pieces: www.daad.de/extrainfo (“Overview work samples music”).
2. To be submitted by post:
- Work samples (for formal requirements, read: “Additional Information for DAAD Study Scholarships in the Field of Music” at: www.daad.de/extrainfo). Please do not upload any work samples to the DAAD portal!
- the printed “Cover sheet to application” of the “Application summary” which is generated in the portal in PDF format after the online application has been completed.
The programme’s deadline is october 15, 2019. For more detail on the DAAD Music Scholarship, please visit the official page.