Applications for the Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians in Germany is open. The Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst (KAAD) scholarships aim to support Catholic Christians willing to study in Germany universities at Master or PhD degree levels. For the KAAD Africa-department, there is an exception to this rule in that scholarships can be given for Master-studies in three African cities (Kumasi/Ghana, Nairobi/Kenya, Harare/Zimbabwe and Addis Ababa/Ethiopia).
The German KAAD runs two scholarship programs: the S1-programme (for candidates that apply from their home countries for studies in Germany) and the S2-programme (for candidates that are already in Germany). The selection process is done twice a year (in March and in September). KAAD scholarship application form is provided online through the apply button below.
- Host Institution: Universities in Germany. For the KAAD Africa-department, there is an exception to this rule in that scholarships can be given for Master-studies in three African cities (Kumasi/Ghana, Nairobi/Kenya, Harare/Zimbabwe and Addis Ababa/Ethiopia).
- Field of Study: There is no specific subject-preference. However, the selection board has often given preference to courses and subjects that they felt to be of significance for the home country of the applicant.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Candidate’s program duration.
- Target group: Open to citizens of the following countries: Africa (Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe); Asia (Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Korea, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam); Middle East (Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine/Israel and Syria); Latin America (Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Brazil and Argentina).
Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians Benefits
Selected applicants for the Catholic KAAD Germany Scholarship for Christians are helped by KAAD with their Visa-modalities, paid for the flights to Germany and back, provided with language training in Germany prior to their studies, etc.
Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians Eligibility
To apply for the Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians, candidates need to satisfy the below criteria:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America and are currently living there;
- have a university degree and professional experience from your home country;
- want to acquire a Master’s degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university;
- are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to inter-religious dialogue;
- possess German language skills before starting the studies (KAAD can provide a language course of max. 6 months in Germany);
- Age limit: Master degree program applicants should not have more than 30 years old and no more than 35 years old for PhD applicants.
- Have a university degree (Bachelor’s, Master) with very good results:
- in countries where no GPA, CGPA or CWA is given, the average of grades must be B or above (more As than Cs),
- CWA must be close to 70 (where 60 is 2nd class lower and 70 is 1st class);
- where the maximum CGPA is 4.0, applicants must have at least 3.2.
What does KAAD expect from its scholars?
- To be part of the activities of the Catholic chaplaincy at the place of their studies;
- To participate in the educational program of KAAD (seminars, annual meeting);
- To return to their home-country (or to another developing country) after finishing their studies in Germany and so to make their knowledge fruitful for their home societies;
- join the KAAD-alumni-groups that exist in different countries and therefore continuously join forces with their scholarship organization and with their fellow alumni. In these associations of scholars and alumni, the KAAD ‘family’ lives on.
- MEXT Scholarship at the University of Tokyo;
- Erasmus Mundus SERP-Chem Scholarship;
- DAAD University Summer Courses in Germany for All;
- University of Toronto International Students Scholarship;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Université de Montréal International Student Scholarship;
- Government of the Czech Republic Scholarships (Master – PhD).
How to Apply for the Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians
Interested applicant must click on the apply button and fill the online questionnaire. In the course of the application process, candidates will be asked to provide more documents.
If the applicant passed the preselection phase, his/her application is passed on to an independent selection board, which sits twice a year (in March and in September).
Applications for the March selection need to be complete by mid January. Similarly, applications for the September selection need to be complete by the end of June.
The KAAD scholarship deadline for the next selection is . For more detail on the Catholic KAAD Scholarship for Christians, please visit the official page. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.